I have something so fun to share with you. I wanted a better video but this will have to do. I've tried to get someone in to video this lesson and it isn't working out. Due to the fact I'm videoing myself, it's hard to see the whole room and I had to use my CD player that skips rather than my iphone. I was bummed you can't play music and video. I need to write Apple...
Here's the fun, super simple dance to teach your students!
Warning: you will want to try this immediately!
I have been teaching the Doubles + 1 strategy for a few years now but noticed many students could use the strategy in isolation but wouldn't apply it on a worksheet of mixed facts. I thought the reason could be that students weren't able to find the "neighbor" ( numbers next to each other in sequence: 2and 3,3 and 4,4 and 5,etc.) So, my arts team and I created this quick dance to help with this concept.
1. Students get a number necklace to wear ( 1-9).
2. They dance to the square dancing music while its on.
3. When the music stops, they get back to back with a "neighbor" to their number.
4. The teacher says, " Howdy, Neighbor!" The students bow to their neighbor and repeat, " Howdy, Neighbor!"
5. Do-si-do for 8 counts
6. Solve their answer using the doubles +1 strategy.
7. Stand silent back to back when they have their answer.
8. The teacher calls on each partnership to make sure the problem has been solved correctly.
9. Switch numbers with the partners next to them and dance again!
Watch the video to see it in action. Sorry again that the music is skipping because I couldn't play it on my iphone and that I didn't get the whole dance because my phone died! If I get a better video, I'll replace this one!
Dont't forget to enter my big giveaway! You still have one more day!